The forts of Ile a la Crosse in 1820 by George Back. The HBC fort has a flag flying. The NWC fort is on the right.
Three Grey Nuns arrived at Ile a la Crosse in 1860 to staff the new school and hospital. (Sketch of Ile a la Crosse Mission as it may have looked like in circa 1860.)
Dene arriving at Ile a la Crosse 1898 to take part in a "mission". These "missions" were organized by the Oblates. A mission lasted from a few days to a few weeks and consisted of religious instruction, sermons, masses and processions. These missions were held several times a year until the 1950's. (photo credit John and Mary Hanson of Buffalo Narrows)
Ile a la Crosse in 1911 during the first visit of Bishop Ovide Charlebois. Charlebois was bishop of the new Apostolic Vicariate of Keewatin formed in 1910.
|Ile a la Crosse in 1914.|
|This Ile a la Crosse hospital burned in 1926.|
|Hospital of Ile a la Crosse 1939.|
|Mission of Ile a la Crosse in 1946.|