Wednesday, 8 October 2014

Fires in La Loche

Chester Fries Chicken outlet

The emergency fire siren started at 3:30 in the morning on October 1, 2014.  La Loche Volunteer Fire Department  was still at the scene at 3:00 in the afternoon and the fire was still smouldering when these pictures were taken.  Destroyed in the fire was the Chester Fried Chicken outlet on La Loche Avenue (the main street).  The owners, who lived in the buildings' suite, were awakened by the smoke alarms and called 911.  This popular store, built in the 1980s, sold concession and novelty items as well as take-out food 

The northern village of La Loche in north-west Saskatchewan has an area population of about 3,500 people. The village  has two fire trucks and both were in use for this fire 
In these photos we see remains of the steel roof and steel appliances from the kitchen as well as a section of wall.

A few spectators were there and the La Loche ValuMaster next door was closed for the day along with Ducharme School which is located across the street. The ValuMaster, also owner occupied, sustained smoke damage as well as damage to its north facing wall and roof. Both the school and the business were open the next day.

A new business is under construction next to the La Loche ValuMaster.  This ten thousand square foot building will sell groceries and other staples. It will also have living accommodations.

La Loche Hotel and Restaurant

Three months later in January of 2015 the La Loche Motel and restaurant burned down.  

The remains of the  La Loche Hotel restaurant kitchen and pieces of the red steel roofing material.